Throwback Thursday & Writing Freebie

I'm linking up with The First Grade Parade for Throwback Thursday!


Last year I posted about some "all about" writing that my students did.  We used an awesome program by Jodie Black.  You can find a link to her program in the original post.  I have to say it was so thrilling to be scrolling through pinterest and see a picture from my post!!! I'll get to the original post in just a second, but first I wanted to tell you about my "Flash Freebie"

My students were having a bit of trouble with opinion writing so I created my Opinion Writing pack.  We used them during class and also sent them home for homework.  The extra practice really helped!  I have them up for free at my Teacher's Pay Teachers store for one day only!!!

Original Post-February 21, 2013

Kindergarten Writing!!!

All About Mrs. Kalnicki-Mrs. K. has earrings, Mrs. K is nice to me, and Mrs. K rings the bells ;)
Pin It

It seems like the one thing that I always struggle with is writing.  I am always looking for new and better ways to teach writing.  This year I am focusing a lot of structure on my star student writing.  That has been working great.  My kids are writing structured "because" sentences everyday and I see that skill transferring to their other writing as well.  Recently I came across a writing program by a woman in Nevada named Jodie Black, nice first name, I know.  Anyway, she pulls from Ralph Fletcher and Lucy Calkins, among others. I've not used her entire program, but just recently I started teaching her "All About" posters unit.  Basically my kids are learning to write nonfiction posters.  They write fact sentences (very difficult) onto smaller pieces of paper and then combine them into a poster.  In my class we all wrote an "All About Walruses" poster (most of them turned out fabulous, but of course I sent them home without taking pictures).  After they wrote a walrus poster I required them each to write at least one more "All About" fact poster.  It was pretty tough to get them to distinguish between facts and opinions, but many of them "got it".  The posters are so cute I had to share!  Also, I would LOVE to hear about what you do for writing!!
All About Me Thinking About My Mom!


All About Me Thinking About My Mom (this is probably my favorite even though it's not exactly what I was looking for)!

All About Mikki (she wrote about her sister)

 photo 1100713361121818240613.png Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Followers Giveaway!

Back to School Giveaway!

Pay It Forward!