Kindergarten Time Capsule

Pin It

For the past several years I've created a time capsule with my kindergarten students.  I write the parents a letter and I ask for a shoe box that will serve as a time capsule.  Parents write a letter to their child and they fill out a survey with their child.  I add pictures that we've used in our classroom, a writing sample and an art project or two.  All of these things go into the capsule along with the "All I Really Need To Know About How To Live and What To Do And How To Be, I Learned in Kindergarten" poem.  I also let students write letters to each other and they put those in the capsule.  A day or two before school lets out we wrap up our time capsules and put on a label that says "Don't Open until my 18th Birthday".  It's a super fun project and it really doesn't require much work from the teacher (time capsules are sent home with the student).  Here are the materials you need.  I hope you can use them!


Time Capsule 2024 Any School

Comments

  1. Totally have to do this!! Thanks for the idea ;)

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com
    I'm hosting my first linky and would love for you to join!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'm going to try this with my own grandsons! Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a super cute idea!! I want to try next year maybe.

    Laura
    teachingwildalaska.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing idea! I never would have thought to do a time capsule for kindergarteners......but this is a must do the next couple of weeks for my kiddos! THank you for sharing!.
    jeannie
    www.kindergartenlifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea!!! Just found and started following your blog! I am super excited to be returning to teaching kindergarten after 2 years of teaching 4th grade and I am super excited that I found your blog!
    Cindy
    http://krazykinderteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love doing time capsules! Usually the kindergarten teachers have had the kids bring in boxes in the past but this year one of them gave me her idea. She used Pringles cans and rolled the papers up and stuck them inside. Parents sent in letters and such and it was put in there as well. I used her idea and covered the cans with scrapbooking paper and wrote "______'s Time Capsule Do not open until May 2024!" Next year I think I will use either my sticker maker or use large labels on the outside of the cans. Much easier and looks like a time capsule too!! Love your idea of sending all of the contents home for parents to fill out with the kids. I tried to do a memory book at school and that became very time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing! Thank you for the freebie! LOVE IT! We are your newest follower! Check us out http://primarypossibilities.blogspot.com/. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm looking forward to reading your former posts. Please visit me at my blog:
    teachingkindergartenkiddos.blogspot.com

    ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm your newest follower AND I just blogged about you.

    ✰ Kimberley ✰
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea! We are your newest followers. Check us out if you get some time. Are you going to iteachK? Just wondering since you live in Vegas. I wish I was going!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've become your newest follower and given you an award! Please come on over to my page and grab it! (Hopefully you can follow my page too!)
    http://mrsbrownscreations.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

100 Followers Giveaway!

Back to School Giveaway!

Pay It Forward!